-
July 29th, 2003, 12:50 AM
#1
Puella Romana
Guest
Just some thoughts on Kailey's book because I said I would post what I thought of the book once I read it. I'm trying to make this as spoiler-free as possible for those who haven't read the book and want to. (If you want the book to be a total surprise you might not want to read on though.)
First, I was shocked by how much I genuinely liked the book! I'm not a beach person and I think the save the planet theme has been semi-overdone, but I did enjoy this story a lot!
I think the book addresses the issue in a very appropriate fashion. It shows people on both sides of the issue and doesn't turn the man who wants to build a resort on Kailey's beach into some kind of mean old guy who doesn't care about the environment "just because."
I also really liked that character of Kailey. She was more my kind of girl in contrast to her best friend who wants to be a model and a movie star. She seems very genuine. Since the book is written in first person you really get a good look at Kailey's character and the author does a good job of making the story sound like it's being told be a ten year-old.
I liked the choices for Kailey's parents occupations. Her mother is a marine biologist while her father is a painter.
Many of the characters in "Kailey" where interesting and believable from the waitress at the restaraunt who claims she's never had a hair cut to the Hispanic flower shop owner. The only character I really disliked was Kailey's best friend Tess (kinda stereotypical preppy), but I think that was more person dislike and not because the character was thoroughly stereotypical or bad.
I don't think this book suffers from any serious problems like Melissa mentioned about Lindsey's book. I was disapointed that Kailey does not have a dog at all though she does play with another family's golden retriever at the beach. I think Sandy was created to add a pet to her collection!
Overall, I thought it was a good story with good characters and a nice message of "you can make a difference" for younger girls!
What does everyone else who has read Kailey's book think?
-
July 29th, 2003, 01:24 AM
#2
AllStar654
Guest
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="1N8IGL">I thought it was a good book too!I am disapointed that no dog is mentioned except for the dog she plays with at the beach.I dislike Tess,I thought she was awefully rude to Kailey throughout the story when she had broken her leg.
Duchess Of Wellington,
If someone hasn't read the book and you don't want them to spoil.When your adding a new topic or posting a reply you can scrole down,on the right to the smilies and click SPOILER.</div><hr size="1"></blockquote>
-
July 29th, 2003, 02:06 AM
#3
Inactive Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="OK9YMD">I liked Kailey's book more than Lindsey's, but wasn't greatly impressed with it. I did like it better the second time reading it, I was a little rushed the first time and missed a few things.
As Melissa had mentioned and I forgot until I read Lindsey again, there were so many things that she (Lindsey) seemed to do wrong and she was just constantly messing things up and getting into trouble, and it just wasn't enjoyable reading (for me anyway) Very unrealistic, and she was supposed to represent a modern girl of today. She's unlike any girl I've ever met!
Kailey's story at least has a plot, she is likeable, and there are interesting characters (except for that Tess...I couldn't STAND her [img]mad.gif[/img] ) and the book does offer/teach interesting facts about tide pools and marine life. It stops to make kids think about how the side effects of something that on the surface seems really cool and great can really impact what they truly love and care for...it shows no matter how old you are, you can do something to stand up for what you care for.
So I do like what the book promotes, but something (I think the whole ending with the lemon squares) seemed to bother me. And the whole Sandy thing [img]confused.gif[/img] I emailed American Girl about Sandy:
Hi,
I ordered Kailey when I saw her on your website and fell in love with her and I was not
disappointed when she arrived! I do just have one question--why is there a dog, Sandy, in her collection when no where in her book is there mention that she has a dog? In one passage it
says she plays with a yellow Lab on the beach, is that "Sandy"? The dog doesn't really seem to fit with her collection based on the story.
And after four days, this was their response:
Thank you for your e-mail. Sandy is mentioned, although not by name, on page 95 of Kailey's book. She is a beach dog that Kailey plays with
while waiting for a family to "draw for the tide pools."
Your question was a good one and we appreciate your inquiry. We are pleased to know how much you are enjoying Kailey!
That was a lot of help... [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ July 29, 2003 07:55 AM: Message edited by: KariS ]</font>
-
July 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
#4
Puella Romana
Guest
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="79HUVD">I also thought the ending was a bit odd... unrealistic. Still, I thought it was better for a children's book than a more realistic ending where coporate America ruins Kailey's beach. I wonder what was in those lemon squares... [img]wink.gif[/img] </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>
-
July 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM
#5
Inactive Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="K9WE8K"> Thanks for all this info, guys! Now I'm sort of liking Kailey... oh no, CAN'T GET MORE DOLLS! That will be tough, though, with Kailey now sounding so appealing.
That thing about Sandy virtually not being in the story is really wierd. The irritating thing is that Lindsey's Mr.Tiny had a HUGE role in the story, yet we never saw a stuffed toy dog for him! Strange... </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>
-
August 4th, 2003, 09:01 PM
#6
Inactive Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="FVI61B"> I recently went on a long car trip from Chicago to Los Angeles (again!) to move my stuff. I read the Kailey book aloud to my boyfriend because we needed something to do while driving, and we really enjoyed it. I was really mad about the Sandy thing, how stupid is that?? But I thought the book was really cute and overall I liked it and didn't find the ending THAT impossible or off. </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ August 04, 2003 06:05 PM: Message edited by: EmilyStrange ]</font>
-
August 10th, 2003, 01:50 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Hi, sorry ot bump this post back, but I just read it and have some comments. First of all, why on earth would ANYONE want a friend like Tess!!?? She's so rude, whiney, and unbearable throughout the whole book! I liked her book too- maybe it was just 'cause I was sitting on a real beach reading it the whole time. Kailey was pretty cute and kid-like. I think her parents' careers were sort of stereotypical. I mean come on, her father, a hippie-like painter against 'The Man". Puh-leese! My dad is an artist, and yes, he did live in Calif. in the 60's and had long hair, but he's nothing like that. All in all, it was a great book, and I liked the cultural diversity in it too.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks